Cyberbullying damage can be long lasting

-by Sydney Wigginton

LeopardLife Parker Post, Staff Writer

Imagine a fictitious scenario: a kid’s self-esteem gets broken down online, and they start to question their own integrity. They start to feel worthless and that nobody likes them. This is all after one person is a cyber bully to another.  While this description is fictitious, the reality is accurate.

Whether it’s Snapchat, Instagram, or Twitter, cyber etiquette protects kids and students online. Some people don’t know how to stay protected on the internet.

The internet allows for people who live all across the world to mingle, but it is well-known amongst many that it isn’t safe 24/7. According to http://www.newsweek.com/government, in 2015, there were 77,000 cyber attacks, including data thefts and security issues. Most of these attacks were on the government, but citizens fell victim to the crimes as well.

These attacks and fights can be prevented by courteous and correct cyber etiquette.

Just like good table manners (food etiquette), using good cyber etiquette makes the world a more pleasant place!  I think these are a few good rules to live by:

1.  Think before you post.  Using a Decision Tree is always an excellent idea!
  2.  Never communicate online with people you do not know.
  3.  Avoid apps and online platforms that allow anonymous postings,” said L-Z counselor Kay Bordelon

Some think that deleting something they posted will make it vanish forever, but once something is on the internet, it remains there forever. On Snapchat, when a picture is sent, it can only be viewed for a certain amount of time and then it “disappears.” Although it goes away, the recipient of the material has the opportunity to replay and/or screenshot the picture, saving it directly to their camera roll, where it can only be deleted manually.

Even if only one person sees the picture, the picture can spread across the whole internet. Without even thinking of the consequences, people will show others the picture and pass it along until a large web of people all over the world have seen the forbidden material. To avoid dilemmas and difficult situations such as this and more, it is advisable to use common sense and stick to doing the responsible thing.

“The rules that apply to good manners, in general, apply to anything online, so think about what you post, make sure it’s true, and make sure it’s kind,” said WSMS library specialist Linda Jones.

According to https://nobullying.com, 25 percent of teens have experienced some form of cyberbullying, and 52 percent of young people have too. Cyberbullying has a long term effect on the people that experience it, and it can lead to depression or other mental illnesses. Much of cyberbullying is done to a victim by someone that they know or are close to.

“A group of people that were being really rude and calling that one person bad names. They ended up going to the counselors and they[counselors] put an end to it,” said seventh-grade Taylor Kate Pickett.

I am aware of students being cyber bullied.  Bullying can affect us in a myriad of ways.  We feel bad about ourselves when others are ugly to us.  When this happens online, the ugly words may not go away, and we may not get any resolution (apology), which can leave us feeling worse,” said Bordelon.