A time to be thankful

Back to Article
Back to Article

A time to be thankful

Be thankful for thanksgiving before jumping into the Christmas spirit

-graphic from creative commons

-graphic from creative commons

-graphic from creative commons

LeopardLife Emma Gapp, Staff Writer

Christmas lights and Christmas trees. What’s up with today’s culture? Christmas has always been up a little early usually a couple of weeks before. However this year, Christmas lights were popping up before Halloween.
Christmas seems to be popping up a little bit earlier each year. Whether it’s better pricing or anything else, there is really no reason to be getting ready for Christmas early.
People have been creating Christmas lists while they should really be writing thankful lists. Today, we live in a world where we can afford everything or we know about everything to want it.

List of things to do to be more thankful:

Hands for Hope club- Their mission is to give entire communities the sustainable tools they need to feed families, educate children, improve health and become economically self-sufficient.
Donating Clothes- You can donate clothes to stores that other people will buy them from like Kid to Kid, Plato’s Closet, and Uptown Cheapskate or places that will donate to other people like Goodwill, American Red Cross, and Salvation Army.
Donating Food to the ACO- Food from the ACO is donated to people who do not have food. The ACO Food Pantry offers crisis food to families living in Allen area communities who can not afford food. We depend on people like you to help support the ACO Food Pantry. Individuals, groups, businesses, churches, schools and organization all support the ACO Food Pantry with donations, holding local food drives and volunteering their time.
Write a list of gratitude- Buy a journal or put one into use writing down things that you are grateful for
Christmas Lights, Starbucks Holiday Red Cups, SiriusXM Holly channel, and Village of Fairview Christmas tree. It feels like Christmas although it’s only the beginning of November. While some people think it’s okay to start Christmas early, others differ to the idea. On a recent poll on Leopard Life, eight of ten people thought that you should be thankful before “gimme gimme” on Christmas.
With the new generation changing, people forget to be thankful. They want Christmas and receiving things. They don’t want to give. The generation has changed so much. In the early 1900s, things cost less than they do today. Today, cell phones cost up to $1000. That differentiates from the $250 it cost in 1979. Prices have increased majorly.
With the festivities of Christmas coming up earlier each year, it could be a reason that people aren’t as thankful as they used to be.