A “Wicked” performance

Back to Article
Back to Article

A “Wicked” performance

Families are wowed by the broadway play Wicked.

Jackson Willard

Jackson Willard

Jackson Willard

LeopardLife Melody Quintero, Campus Life editor

I had the chance to go see Wicked, the Broadway Musical, that has come for Dallas as a Summer Musical for about a month, from April 20 to May 22. I had never seen Wicked, let alone any Broadway show, so I had no idea what to expect from the play. I was thinking something along the lines of the musicals we have done here in WSMS, only with more advanced tech and costumes.

I was blown away. Wicked involves places and characters that everyone can relate to, no matter what. The play fit snugly inside of the Wizard of Oz universe, yet showed some new concepts that worked well with the dynamic of the play, too. There was a certain feel to the universe this play has continued, and it felt great.

First of all, the show itself is so beautifully written. The characters are fleshed out from the moment they step on stage, and the dialogue couldn’t be more perfectly placed. There were funny moments, sad moments, and romantic moments, all with believable lines and movement.

The special effects were out of this world. I can appreciate how well the behind-the-scenes part of the play was done as well, after taking part in Pollyanna as “The Sound Guy” myself. There were moments where people were floating in the air and creating magic on stage, right in front of me. I could really feel the magic that was happening on stage. There were parts of the show that absolutely took my breath away. I had no idea anything so beautiful could be made with just mere lighting and music.

Speaking of, the music was heart-stopping. Every syllable and every note was in perfect harmony with the story still going on through the song. The actors put so much emotion into their words that it was hard to believe that they were just actors, and the musicality of it all was perfect.

I think everyone that has seen Wicked can agree that it’s an absolutely wonderful show. I think that I would rate the show a solid 10 out of 10 because it opened my mind to how great theatre can be with a little hard work, perseverance, and some Wicked skills.