From New York to Texas

Back to Article
Back to Article

From New York to Texas

Zoe Allison

Zoe Allison

Zoe Allison

LeopardLife Arushi Gupta, staff writer

Since I’ve gotten here, a lot of people have been asking, “Well, how do you like Texas?” I’ve been wanting to give them an answer, but I’ve always replied saying the same thing.

I’ve spent my whole life learning to love New York, but I’ve only had a few months to adjust to this change in scenery, environment, and change of life in Texas.

In New York, I lived in a city called New Rochelle located 20 minutes outside of Manhattan. It’s really all I have ever known. All my friends, ideas, and dreams were made in New Rochelle. For 12 years, that apartment had been my home, and now it’s not.

This move didn’t come unseen; my parents had been planning to come here since I was in second grade, but it’s always been too hard to leave for my parents and me.

Leaving still wasn’t easy. At first I didn’t want to host a farewell party because I had known it would be too hard. Then, on Tuesday, five days before I left, I decided that the last time I meet my friends can’t be at school; I had to talk to them. On Friday, March 11, I met with my friends for the last time. I cried the whole time; they’ve been my lifelong friends. Somehow that last night flew by.

On Sunday, March 13 at 6:00 a.m., I sat on the plane and realized that this was actually happening.

It was weird to think that I wasn’t going to fly back to New York like moving was some vacation. Now, Texas was my home. The one thing I was looking forward to was having a week off. It turns out that a week can fly by really fast when settling into a new house.

Before I knew it, I was stepping into the theatre classroom at 8:40 a.m. on Monday, March 21.  I was having an amazing time; it was a different experience going from the girl that knew everyone to having no one to talk to.

What really broke me down was when I came home at 4:30 p.m. I cried until 6:30 saying that I missed my friends. I guess it was harder than I ever thought it could be. I was hoping that it would get better.

The next day, I was determined not to cry, but I just couldn’t help myself. That day in math class we had a substitute, and I didn’t know what to do. I got up, went to the substitute, and asked her if I could call my mom.

As soon as I called my mom, I regretted it. I wasn’t the only one having a hard time with the transition; my mom was too, and the last thing I wanted to do was make that harder for her.

I would walk in the hallway and have nobody to say hi to. I was sure it would get better, but at the time, it seemed impossible. I thought that I would be quiet for the rest of the year.

It turned out that others were the ones who spoiled my plan. As soon as I stepped into all of my classes there would be people that would try and talk to me. Sometimes, it was one person; other times it was an entire class telling me three interesting facts about each other.

I started to feel like this wouldn’t be as bad as I was expecting it would be. The next day, I started talking to all the people I had talked to the day before. Everyday I was talking to someone new, and I enjoyed it. I think it’s going really well, and hopefully will keep on going that way.

That was the last time I cried. After that, I started to talk to people. Although I didn’t have any friends, I knew that it would take time. I had started to feel much better. Now, a lot of people have been asking me, “Do you like it here?” I guess I have yet another question to answer.