WSMS’ own, Mrs. Novicke, runs in Boston Marathon

-courtesy photo

-courtesy photo

LeopardLife Tyler Call, Staff Writer

For the past 120 years, people from all over the world gathered in Massachusetts for 26 long, exhausting, and painful miles of running. This year, WSMS’ own eighth-grade U.S history teacher, Allison Novicke, qualified for the 2017 Boston Marathon.

Every year since 1897, the Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) has held the Boston Marathon in Boston, MA. It’s the world’s oldest annual marathon and ranks as one of the world’s most prestigious road racing events. It is held on the third Monday of April, (Patriot’s Day) and consists of an average of 30,000 participants from all over the world.

What all those participants have in common though, is their long path for qualification. In order for one to qualify, they must be above the age of 18, and complete a standard marathon course certified by a national governing body affiliating with the International Association of Athletics Federations within a certain period of time before the Boston Marathon (approximately 18 months prior.) The top 15 placements earn winnings from $1,500-150,000.

Novicke commented on how she prepared to participate in this well-recognized race.

“I have been training and running marathons over the past two and a half years in order to qualify for Boston. I ran a 3:35 at Cottonwood in Utah last September of 2016 and finally qualified. The Boston Marathon on Monday, April 17th marked my 10th marathon and it was an extraordinary race,” said eighth-grade history teacher Mrs. Novicke.

The race starts in Hopkinton, MA, and ends in Boston, MA. This year, for the first time in 37 years, the temperatures were above 70 degrees for the race.

“The temperatures were in the 70’s-which is considered extremely warm for runners,” said Mrs. Novicke. “Before this race, I have never run a marathon where the temperatures were out of the 50’s. This took a toll on my body during Monday’s race, so my finishing time for this marathon was much slower than I usually run. However, it is still my proudest race and as a runner my biggest accomplishment thus far.”

Mrs. Novicke enjoys not only the exercise but running with friends and socializing along the way.

“The exercise part is a stress reliever so I enjoy that too. [My favorite part about running] is the celebration at the end because you feel like you’ve accomplished a goal you’ve set for yourself, so I like that.”

Mrs. Novicke has run in various marathons from California to New York. Some of which include the Chicago Marathon, Disney’s Goofy Challenge in Orlando, FL, Oklahoma City Marathon, Dallas Marathon, Cowtown Marathon, and more.

When asked how she prepares for each marathon, she replied saying:

“I prepare for any marathon by training over the course of months.  I slowly build my mileage each week.  I will run at different paces on different days when my mileage is between 5-7 miles for the day, and I will spend one-day doing track work of sprints each week.  The weekly “long run” is done at a slower pace and builds to 20-22 miles a few weeks before the actual marathon race.  At the height of training, I am logging 40 miles or more each week. In the weeks following your longest run, you slowly lower your mileage to get ready for race day and let your legs recover. It takes time, commitment, and consistency, but anyone can train to run a marathon,” said Novicke.-courtesy photo