“If music be the food of love, play on”

LeopardLife Dinah Thadikonda, Kat Wise, and Parker Posst, Staff Writers

“Hamlet,” “Romeo and Juliet,” and “Macbeth” were all written by one of man’s most commonly known English poet, playwright, and actor, William Shakespeare. Next summer, the Willow Springs theatre students will be visiting London, and Stratford upon Avon, the cities where Shakespeare grew up. The students currently have many opportunities to connect with Shakespeare such as the Shakespeare dinner theatre, Who Hath Done It?.

On April 27, 28, and 29, the Willow Springs theatre students will put on a Shakespeare production consisting of some of his most famous plays. Every other year the Willow Springs theatre department puts on a Shakespeare dinner play that is an interactive production. It is a family friendly, engaging, and entertaining show with a dinner served from Italian Villa.

“The Shakespeare Dinner is a murder mystery. There will be twelve tables, and each table will represent a team, and they’re actually playing a humongous game of Clue. So instead of Professor Plum in the study with a candlestick, all of the locations are going be places from Shakespeare’s plays or from Shakespeare’s life,” said Willow Springs theatre teacher and director of the production, Donella DiPasquale.

To participate in the production, students had to perform a snippet of the character that he or she wanted to audition for’s scene. If they took the theatre class, they auditioned in class, but if not they came in after school to audition.
“I am a jester, and I decided to be this because I thought it would be fun to interact with the people at the tables,” said seventh-grader Ella Hersley, “I was in Legally Blonde and I thought it was a lot of fun and the cast was a lot of fun so I decided to do it again. Be open to Shakespeare, it’s actually more fun than people think.”

A snippet of one of Shakespeare’s most famous plays, “Romeo and Juliet,” will be played by Jack Gaines and Kaylee Cortez. The famous tragedy, written in 1594, is one of the most famous plays of Shakespeare’s.

“All the characters will be characters from Shakespeare’s stories. I think starting to learn about Shakespeare at this age is really important and this is a fun way to not just learn about Shakespeare, but also perform some of his most famous pieces. It’s very interactive, and the kids love doing the dinner theatre,” said DiPasquale.

The time of the show is approaching, and the tickets available are running out. Theatre students such as Landry Dierks recommend that people buy tickets soon.

“I was in The Lion King and Legally Blonde, and they were both super fun, so I wanted to do Shakespeare as well. Make sure you buy tickets super early because they run out super quick,” said seventh-grader Landry Dierks.

Students are also going to London in 2018 to experience Shakespeare. Theatre students that are going on the trip will be experiencing the culture of London, and experiencing Shakespeare.

“I will be attending the theatre trip because I would love to go see London,” said seventh-grade theatre student Ethan Jones, “[I am most excited] to go to London [and] to see Shakespeare’s home.”

The London trip will be a great way for students to learn about a different country. Including culture and historic people native to the place.

“If I do go I am most excited about seeing different things and the different culture. I would be most excited about seeing all of the things throughout Shakespeare’s life,” said eighth-grade theatre student Sevin Newport.

The theatre students will get to experience “London’s Broadway”, called West End and experience backstage. There will be backstage tours for students to participate in where they can dress up and pretend to be in a Shakespeare play.

“The purpose of the London trip is to experience not just London, but Shakespeare’s London to do a lot of walking in Shakespeare’s steps. We are going to go where he lived, where he died, to see national theatre, to see West End, which is like broadway, but it’s over there,” said DiPasquale.